admin in News on January 15, 2012
Before the TFT arrived in Rwanda, especially in Izere Center, we had several cases of problems of suffering from trauma, guilt, anger, stress, disability or physical pain and other psychological problems were raising higher and higher as waves.
Many people had any hope for these problems. We tried our best to find every where someone who could help our people in healing. But under God, the delegation from ATFT BOARD, headed by Suzanne Connelly August 2009 accepted to come to help us to find the issues of these problems.
They did the study, they trained 35 Rwandan therapist and treated many people at Izere Center. This work revealed us the power of TFT. Around 99% of treated people witnessed their healing. And we also saw the differences among our clients.
Before the departure of this team, we formed an association of the therapists trained by Suzanne, Dr. Caroline and their companions in order to continue helping a great number of people who continued to come to be treated at Izere Center.
After their departure, we opened a TFT office at Izere Center where the therapists were helping permanently a big number of people. Among our suffering clients, most of them were crying, hopeless, and after treatment they went home with joy and happiness. It was very encouraging, interesting and hopeful for us to see our people coming out of their painful situations.
Because of a big number of healed people and of those who wanted our help, the 33 therapists come at Izere Center for the community treatment. In this service, we treated many people from different regions.
At their home, the therapists continued to help their neighbors.
After we decided to make a TFT clinic where one permanent and 2 part-time therapists are actually working.
After one year, Roger Callahan/ ATFT Foundation sent the same team for the follow up. Because of the need of many therapists, they trained other 33 therapist who joined other 35 therapists trained one year ago. Actually we have 66 therapists who are still working seriously.
From 2009 to now, many thousands of people have been healed and we have many testimonies among them, there are those which are given by the local authorities, therapists and clients.
Roger Callahan and Joanne Callahan meet the Izere Center leaders in Hawaii
TFT in service of families’ reconciliation
Many families in Rwanda live in conflict because of painful history, poverty, and illiteracy. The therapists contributed and are still contributing to resolve these problems in the way of unity and reconciliation. We treat people using TFT and after they are healed we teach them how they can live in peace and unity in their families. Sometimes, all members of family are treated. And, they live in peace with their neighbors.
I can confirm that this is the hope of the best future of their families and the nation. It is also the beginning of the development of their families.
TFT in service of youth.
Every Monday, we have the meeting with the youth. In this meeting we teach catechesis, Bibles, ethics, economic development with micro projects, family consolidation, unity and reconciliation. From the beginning of this year, we introduced the program of teaching them TFT. Most of them had already shown the will of knowing some algorithm in order to treat themselves and their neighbors.
Most of them have been treated and they are very happy for this service freely given to them.
TFT in service of widows.
Every Tuesday and Friday, we have the special service of the widows, on each day we treat around 30 people.
Not that those people who are treated and being treated pay nothing because their poverty. It is a charitable or humanitarian service.
I use the TFT to treat myself and my neighbors. It very helpful for all of us .
Our training in Hawaii
Last September 2011 I and other three Rwandan therapists have been in Hawaii for training as trainers in TFT. It was a big experience to meet and to talk with Roger Callahan the Founder of ATFT and the inventors of Callahan techniques. This training has been very fruitful and helpful. It is a new hope of the good future of our people. The TFT will also be known by many people, and then we shall help many people in our region, Africa and in the entire world.
For me, the meeting with Dr. Roger and his wife Joanne was an occasion to thank him for everything he does, especially for Rwandan people and other suffering people in general. I sincere thank him for the knowledge shared with us. He has made a new way of healing people all over the word with TFT, with natural knowledge given to the humanity.
Dr. Roger opened a way of voluntarism to all psychologists and other people of good will. This new opened way is to help people in need, people in painful situation of war, conflict, poverty, psychological problems…
Today the World needs many people like Dr. Roger Callahan. He is always focusing on the problems of the world, especially about the better life of humanity.
Since when Roger sent the team of the therapists to Rwanda to help the survivors and other vulnerable people, he is always trying his best for the best future of our country.
We sincerely appreciate the work of Dr. Roger Callahan. I hope, in his retirement many people will continue to think about him and to come to him.
I would like also to say thanks to the first missionaries of TFT in Rwanda. (Suzanne, Dr. Caroline, Garry, and Sindie).
We will never forget your work.
May God bless you all!
Deacon Augustin NZABONIMANA
President of ATFT IZERE/RWANDA
admin in News on January 15, 2012
On December 27th 2011, we had a general assembly of Rwandan therapists working together in Izere Center.
The Objective of this meeting was: Make coordination of all our activities during this finished year, sharing different experience about how TFT is working in our region. Another issue was giving the acquired experiences form the training that we had in Hawaii last September.
Here is the overview of the meeting.
It has been a difficult time for us to meet because of lack of means. (Money for transport, taking care in feeding, water…). Everyone all understood and appreciated what we have done until now. They also gave thanks to ATFT Board for helping for the possibility of this meet.
The presentation of IZERE office experiences.
This presentation was done by Adrienne who is always in the office with other collaborators receiving clients. Adrienne talked about the large number of patients we have seen to date. She mentioned also their different problems and how IZERE center contributed to their final healing.
Categories of peoples helped by TFT in Izere Center:
Adrienne showed that many people helped at Izere center are widows, orphans, youth, handicapped people, families (couples).
The most important problem is that of trauma. People have been traumatized for various reasons. The consequence of this trauma is always the manifestation of a serious depression, high level of culpability, guilt and anger. For these, the idea of many patients is that of suicide.
Adrienne talked about the visit that she always does to the patients. The outcome of this visit is always positive as she said.
Among the problems are:
- People who come to the IZERE center do not find water to drink when they are in need of it. This is a big problem for a therapist to treat a patient who is in lack of water.
- There is not sufficient furniture in the office such as: tables, chairs, papers, books, ink, therapist materials as bed for example.
- For the visit she uses the motorbike of the Parish. So she must pay for the fuel.
- She mentioned that her collaborators seem not to be interested because they are not encouraged financially. (Part time therapist not paid). Helping such a big number of patients alone is a complicated task.
- Poverty of the client is also a handicap… Adrienne said that when treating some cases, she find that a number of them must be treated by the specialist at the hospital. Because of the mentioned problem of poverty, those patients are not able to go to the hospital because of lack of money. The Parish is doing the best to help them.
After this presentation, people who were present appreciated the work has been done by the IZERE Center even though it was in difficult conditions.
Every therapist who was present shared their experiences. Generally, they are all said that they are using TFT in their work. Nevertheless, they said that they missed an occasion of sharing different results of their experiences.
Here are a few examples:
- Celestin is headmaster of SOS school. He showed us that he continues to use TFT is his work as a trainer, to help children among them orphans in order to overcome their problems.
- Fr. Antoine is In charge of Byumba Hospital, Congolese refugees camps, Catholic schools, and other many Christians in the parish. He mentioned that in his daily life he always meets people with serious problems. But with TFT he helped them and the results are positive. He suggested that TFT may be taught to large number of people, especially the refugees and nurses. And, he invited everyone to work in harmony.
- Fabien, a retired policeman working in the prison. When he arrived, he found himself in permanent contact with a best known killer. This life made him think about what learnt with TFT. He started using TFT to help himself first, then he helped the said killer. He healed him with TFT and it was a big contribution because he was able to also form a group of therapists in the prison.
Suggestions and orientations.
- Given the importance of this meeting, they all suggested to meet after every trimester. The next meeting will be in March 2012.
- The activities of TFT this year should be oriented in special field as: orphanages, prisons, refugee’s camp, schools and hospital and youth groups
- Train 3 more therapists
- The part-time therapists worked with Adrienne should be encouraged.
- The problem of lack of water should be immediately solved.
- The IZERE Center, in order to continue its work properly needs supporting funds. (Transport, communication, furniture…) .
- The therapists suggested that they should receive the advanced TFT training, as those received in Hawaii.
We also discussed Dr. Roger Callahan’s retirement. We all appreciated what he has done to help people, and promise to continue what he started.
TFT makes the difference among the people. Even if it demands courage, love and self determination of the therapists, TFT is the best way to help people with different problems in our country. It is our task to help, without hesitation, those who are in need.
Deacon Augustin NZABONIMANA
admin in News on October 29, 2011
At the IZERE Center, people with trauma based and psychological problems come to be treated. There is a TFT office at the center whereby clients come from Monday up to Friday, morning and afternoon to get assisted by the trained Rwandan therapists fully present on those five days a week. The people who come to the center include widows, orphans, disabled individuals, people suffering from HIV/AIDS and survivors of the Rwandan genocide living with different kinds of problems.
From August 29th, 2009 up to today, more than 200 clients have been treated so far at the center. As you remember, the 36 trained Rwandan therapists come from different layers of the Rwandan society: priests, teachers and directors of orphanages, directors and teachers of secondary schools, policemen, businessmen, and clinical psychologists. All these therapists are now using TFT.
At the center we have three therapist who work a part time, Brother Augustine, Adrienne and MUKAMURARA Betty (Betty will begin to treat people up to January). They work 2 days a week (Tuesday and Friday) except brother Augustine is working at Izere Center every day. We do our best to make sure that there is therapists in the IZERE TFT office daily to assist the people who come at the center for treatment. The clients and the people in general are happy with this service introduced at the center. They used to travel long distances going to the health centers and hospitals for treatment but now they find the help near them.
Joseph Ishimwe is our translator and therapist during the training. Joseph is a Vice Principle at a catholic Secondary School with 500 students and 27 teachers. This is a boarding school, and all the students and teachers live inside. So, Joseph is working hard at school using TFT techniques. He has put in place a TFT bureau at his school where students and teachers with trauma based and psychological problems come for help. The students are very happy and Joseph too.
Other examples we can give here are the works done by Jean Baptiste nicknamed Big John, Agnes, Jeanne d’Arc Anatole and others who are working in the orphanage (SOS), Fabien who is working in the police, Dominique Savio who use TFT in the Nyamiyaga sector office and many others. They are all using TFT techniques at their workplaces and their work is more successful.
Father J.M.V is the chair person of Rwandan TFT Association (ATFT IZERE/RWANDA) and Brother Augustine actually President, visited them in their working places.
The types of problems people are usually treated for include trauma, anxiety, anger, rage, fears, phobia, body pains and others.
The People who are treated pay nothing, they are all treated free of charge. Those people we assist know fully it is not easy to render such a free service but we still to dot charge them anything. (All are poor)
The people who are treated tell us that these techniques help so much and do not cause any harm to them; this because our clients fully participate in what is being done to them by tapping where the therapist tells them to tap. We also see ourselves that their facial expressions change drastically after treatment. They do not remain the same as before treatment. We see that they are happy again and confident. We are happy and empowered when we observe such great change in the lives of suffering people. There is nothing better than seeing somebody smiling again after so many years without smiling.
Many Persons are excited too about the project, and they have shown interest in our work. They know we are there and we are working for the good of our nation. We are constantly in touch with them so that we can always carry out our work publicly. And The Izere Center is becoming the modal of social center in our District. Our dreams are to see TFT growing bigger and reach as many people who need it as possible. How can we then achieve our objective if we are closed to ourselves? The work we do speak itself and makes us known even without our notice. After the training of the trainers, we will be able to make sure our dreams.
Many Rwandan’s citizens are living with trauma and other Psychological problem because of the genocide and the war, the poverty, Consequences. The service like this is really a big need for many Rwandan people.
It is necessary that this center have the financial aids in order to continue their activities. It why, we ask to every person who can contribute to help Rwandan’s people to support this project. We thank especially to Callahan and to all persons who help our people.
May God bless them!
Brother Augustine NZABONIMANA
The President of ATFT Izere/Rwanda.
admin in News on October 29, 2011
Newly Trained TFT Therapists Are Helping Support the TFT Therapists in Rwanda Who are Providing Trauma Relief for Many.
Last year we trained many new TFT practitioners. In their trainings we told them about the ATFT Foundation’s trauma relief work and the amazing changes that are taking place because of TFT. We also shared the opportunity for them to help with these humanitarian relief efforts.
Our 2010 TFT Boot Camps from Chicago, Orlando, San Diego, New Jersey, London, La Quinta, Salt Lake City, Vancouver and Baltimore all joined us in providing part-time staff for the IZERE Center. Last year that support, combined with one of our very generous donors, allowed us to provide 5 part-time therapists and 1 full-time psychologist for the center.
I wanted to share with all of you some of the words of appreciation from Rwanda:
“When we observe change in the lives of the people we are treating using TFT, we really feel a deep joy in our hearts and all this is because of your generosity which pushed you to think about us, and your love for us, that led you to decide to send again the team from the USA to train Rwandan therapists who are now doing their best to help people using TFT.”
What is pleasing us the most is that after the departure of the team from USA, now many people are coming every day at IZERE CENTER to be treated, the average number being 30 people a day, and we are trying our best to treat them and finish them all.
TFT is used to heal the people
Those who are treated tell us that TFT helps so much and do not cause any danger to them; this because our clients fully participate in what is being done to them by tapping where we tell them to tap according to their problem. We also see ourselves that their facial expressions change drastically after treatment. They do not remain the same as before treatment. We see that they are happy again and confident. We are happy and empowered when we observe such great change in the lives of suffering people. There is nothing better than seeing somebody smiling again after so many years without smiling. Many of them became our friends.
The IZERE Center is becoming the model of social center in our District. Our dreams are to see TFT growing bigger and reach as many people who need it as possible. The work we do speak itself and makes us known even without our notice. After the training of the trainers, we will be able to make sure our dreams.
Many Rwandan’s citizens are living with trauma and other Psychological problem because of the genocide and the war, the poverty. Consequently, there is a really a big need for services like these for many Rwandan people. Thank you very much”
Thank you to all of you who are helping to make a difference in the lives of so many. This year we will be training the four lead therapists at the IZERE Center to become TFT Trainers.
There are still hundreds of thousands of yet untreated genocide survivors who suffer from PTSD in Rwanda. The Rwandans need to be trained as TFT trainers so they could train others to use TFT in their homeland.
In September 2011 four Rwandan TFT practitioners from Byumba and Kigali came to Hawaii for a month of intense training. They reviewed TFT skills and learned to train others to use it. As part of their training, the Rwandans trained 16-20 trainees in Hawaii for 2 days and then will supervise them in their clinical practice at the sites in which they serve. These will be pro-bono trainings and pro-bono clinics serving the needy populations while at the same time training and supervising the Rwandans.
The benefits of this year’s program are tremendous:
- Rwandans moving to self-sufficiency in continuing to train, treat and follow-up on their TFT treatments of wide-scale trauma, and empowered to expand geometrically the benefits of TFT across Rwanda and to neighboring countries.
- Free treatment for the homeless, people in recovery and many others who do not have access or the means to obtain treatment.
- Locally trained TFT practitioners prepared to work with the people with high needs and limited resources in Hawaii.
Please consider helping us further this project: Visit www.ATFTFoundation.org to help make a difference in the lives of thousands of Rwandans.
admin in News on September 21, 2011
We work with a wide range of people and causes in our center:
WOMEN WITH LOW INCOME
Supporting agricultural projects involving women with low incomes that provide improved seeds and fertilizers. Most of these women are widows. We are also build at least 10 small houses for homeless widows.
Open avenues for unity, peace, justice and reconciliation through clubs, sports, and art. Teach life skills and life values, including integrity, respect, forgiveness, tolerance and patriotism. Provide Vocational guidance and counseling.
Teach general health awareness in addition to reproductive health education about HIV & AIDS.
HOPE UNITY AND RECONCILIATION
We have already initiated projects that promote unity, encourage peace building, teach forgiveness & reconciliation and teach conflict management.
HANDICAPPED CHILDREN AND ORPHANS AT THE IZERE CENTER
We are promoting inclusive education where disabled children can also get the attention they deserve. We have 18 such children now in the Izere Center, with an additional 72 also being assisted by their families. On holidays we help them to be with their respective families.
We teach to the parents how to care their children.
- PARENTING EDUCATION
- WOMEN AND CHILDREN‘S RIGHTS
- FAMILY PLANNING
- GENDER EQUALITY
- AWARENESS AGAINST
- DOMESTIC VIOLENCE
• The Izere Center has no vehicles to help with its numerous activities, including transferring serious cases to district or city hospitals.
• The Center is much too small for the number of clients seen. There is only a meeting hall, small offices, 10 small bedrooms and a poorly equipped kitchen.
• The Center cannot pay tuition for students to continue their education up to High school.
• The center is struggling to pay the staff , provide basic needs such as food, clothing, & school materials to the many children under our care because of its limited budget.
. The Center and Byumba diocese is stuggling to build a vocational center for these orphans.
Please contact us for more information
PO Box 05, Byumba, Rwanda
admin in News on August 20, 2011
A Project proposal for the construction of Izere Vocational Center in Diocese of Byumba Izere Center.
In Rwanda, the rate access about schools stills at low level. The percentage of primary schools is estimated around 90% whereas 10% is for the secondary school. In the aim of resolving this situation and according to the millennium goals, the vision of Africa aims at increasing the rate of pupils in the schools. In Rwanda, the government has particularly established a national program of teaching people as many as possible to increase the rate of schooling as follows:
Access rate of primary school (2010) 90% (2015) 95% (2020) 100%
Access rate of secondary school (2010) 10% (2015) 20% (2020) 50%
In order to make succeed this project, the financial mobilization, monitoring plan and rational implementation are necessary. That is why Rwanda is calling on people, private sectors, and civil sectors to participate actively in this policy.
Accommodation capacity: 600 pupils
Duration of the project: 50 years
PROJECT GENERAL TOTAL: 755.632.250 RWF /$1,259,387.08
BENEFICIARIES CONTRIBUTION:75.563.225 RWF / $125,938.70
SOLICITED SUPPORT: 680.069.025 RWF /$1,133,448.37
INFORMATION ABOUT THE PROJECT:
In course of this mission the consultant has identified in documentary form the principal characteristics of locality such as relief, access infrastructures, draining, available resources of water, socio-economic data and other information which the agency may consider as important to achieve its mission. This phase has helped also to refine the activities planning that will follow in the other phases.
During the mission period, the consultant contacted the local authorities to create with them a space of agreement exchange so as to establish the interest climate with the beneficiary communities. This phase will allow the consultant and the experts to explore the whole project, to identify its constraints, its orientations and to refine specific objectives in order to fit into place the preparation and the execution of the mission, especially in questionnaire preparation of survey and in canvas of collection of the secondary data. This is why this report has permitted to find out the real needs which are in the domain of Technical Teaching. It also permitted to notice that beneficiaries are ready to contribute in the work of construction through the common work of all people named in Rwanda language: umuganda. The field of one hector is already there and it is enough for all buildings and school garden.
The first reports and contact with local authority have permitted to distinguish the urgent sections as follows:
1) Public works/construction
2) Computer sciences/electronic
In the first phase, we plan to construct the following buildings:
1. 1st Building of Administration
2. 2nd Building of six classrooms
3. 3rd Building of six classrooms
4. 1st Building of 3 classrooms
5. 2nd Building of 3 classrooms
6. 3rd Building of 3 classrooms
7. Computer laboratory (I.C.T)
8. Electronic laboratory
9. Public work room
10. Construction room
11. Mechanical automobile room
12. Welding and plumbing laboratory
13. Dining room (refectory)
14. Main hall
15. Boys Dormitory
16. Boys Dormitory
17. Girls dormitory
18. Girls dormitory
19. 4 types of latrines
20. Estimation of fence, stairs, school garden
21. Interception, collection and storing of rainy water
22. Generator house of 9m2
23. Watchman house of 9m2
24. Interception, collection and storing the rainy water
25. Acquisition of the field (expropriation for public utility)
District of GICUMBI, Byumba Sector, Nyarutarama Cell, near of the Regional stadium of BYUMBA.
Catholic Diocese of Byumba has at least one million and two hundred people but it has not any secondary technical school.
- Increase the number of girls and boys who wish to study.
- Quality improvement of the form of secondary school to create the future employers and employees.
- Elaboration of detailed technical studies
- Proposition of solutions economically viable
- Elaboration of files of financing search
- Execution of work
- Provisional and definitive reception of work
- Organisation of management structures
Rwandan population in general especially people of Gicumbi, Burera, Rulindo, Gatsibo, Nyagatare and Gakenke in particular will be beneficiaries of the project activities.
Methods of execution
The work will be executed in way of enterprise but in course of detailed technical studies, it will be examined the possibilities of realisation of certain slices of work by people who benefit in the frame work of their participation of the school.
Socio-economic impact project
- Important influx of monetary masses in district and creation of jobs
- Situation improvement of technical teaching
- Reinforce the partnership within communities, through the structures of management of infrastructures with public sector, private sector and civil society.
- Increasing of community capacities in decisions making and in charge of community benefits
Deacon Augustin NZABONIMANA
The president of ATFT IZERE/ RWANDA
admin in News on July 13, 2011
THE REPORT OF THE TREATMENT OF CLIENTS USING TFT TECHNIQUES (December 08, 2009)
On Tuesday December 08, 2009 the Association for Thought Field Therapy IZERE/RWANDA (ATFT IZERE/RWANDA) treated the people suffering from trauma based and other psychological problems at NYINAWIMANA Parish. The trained Rwandan therapists decided to carry out this activity in their general meeting on 29th November 2009 at IZERE Center, after the observation that many clients used to come at the center every day for treatment of their trauma.
The trained Rwandan therapists from different corners were present and the treatment started at 8:30am, and the agenda was scheduled as follows:
- Treating the clients using TFT methods
- Submitting the “Three Months Follow-Up Therapist’s Self-Report” by the trained Rwandan therapists.
TREATING CLIENTS USING TFT METHODS
Before treating them, clients were put in 8 groups, and each group was composed of 30 to 35 clients. The session started by welcoming the clients. Brother Augustine also reminded them all about treatment using TFT Methods and told them about the ATFT IZERE/RWANDA programs.
When we started the treatment, more clients were coming at the center to be treated. For this, other groups were created for those clients who came after we had started the treatment. The total number of 316 people came for treatment.
In groups, every therapist treated his/her clients with the clear purpose of knowing some specific things including:
- the clients who are completely healed from their trauma,
- the clients who did not get healed completely,
- the clients who can treat themselves using TFT Methods
After treatment, the collected information showed the following:
- There are clients who can treat themselves using TFT Methods,
- There are some people who feel they cannot treat themselves using TFT Methods,
- There are some people who can try to treat themselves using TFT Methods,
- There are some people who did not get healed completely,
- There are some people who got healed but not completely (who still show some symptoms of trauma and weakness),
- There are some people who got healed and said that they fear the trauma may come back,
- There are some people who cannot be healed because of their existing physical pain which requires going to the hospitals for medical treatment,
- Finally, there are some people who deserve special care and continual follow up.
The therapists were interested in knowing the life of their clients after the last August 2009 treatment carried out by ATFT Team from America. Some of the clients said that the transport money which was given to them was used for the benefit of their entire families.
They said they used that money for purchasing the following:
- Some goats, sheep and hens
- Food and other home needs
- And on the school fees of their children in secondary schools, etc.
After treatment, there came the time for free interaction between therapists and clients whereby therapists introduced themselves to the clients one by one. Each therapist greeted the clients and told his/her names, occupation, residence and other relevant information. The purpose of this is to let clients feel a deep friendship with their therapists, and this intends to build a high level of performance in the ATFT IZERE/RWANDA.
THE SUBMITION OF THE “THREE MONTHS FOLLOW-UP THERAPIST’S SELF-REPORTS”
As it was agreed upon in the general meeting on 29th November 2009 at IZERE Center, the therapists submitted the “Three Months Follow-Up Therapist’s Self-Reports”. These reports will help ATFT IZERE/RWANDA evaluate its Trauma Relief program. Brother Augustine reminded all the therapists the criteria by providing to them some questions to answer.
- How many community members have you treated with TFT these three months?
- What was the average number of times you saw each person for his or her problems?
- Did you feel that Thought Field Therapy made a difference in the people’s lives that you worked with? Please tell us about this. Why or why not? When did it make a difference and when did it not?
- Were the people you treated pleased with the results they achieved by using TFT? Please tell us about this.
- Do you feel like your using Thought Field Therapy to help individuals in your community made a difference in your community? Please describe why or why not.
- Is there anything more you would like to say about your experience these three months using Thought Field Therapy to help others?
After the submission of these reports, the therapists closed their session. They all went back home with the common view of continuing assisting the people with trauma in their communities. The existing good service of coming at the center 4 times a month to treat people will also continue. It was agreed upon that this same activity will be carried out again in February 2010